Fillers in the cheeks can provide a more fuller and defined look, giving that desired V shape for the face. Filler in this area helps lift the face whilst giving the added benefit of also helping to hide nasolabial folds.
Find a local treatment provider
Think of the cheeks as the structural beam keeping the skin taught in the mid-face. If this beam shrinks, it has a knock on effect on all the other areas beneath it. Similar to the effect on a tent if you were to cut the height of the main structural pole, the fabric would begin to sag.
Over time, fat pads underneath our skin begin to resorb along with moisture and volume. The overlying skin now has less support and thus accentuating the signs of ageing by adding weight to lines formed below the cheeks. This is the principle reason why adding volume to your cheeks gives rise to possibly the most dramatic enhancement.
By injecting dermal filler into the cheeks, the skin in the lower face is pulled upwards. In doing so, marionette lines and nasolabial folds around the mouth soften. And so with one treatment, you could see the benefits of three.
Hyaluronic acid based fillers are the go-to for this area of the face. Results typically last 12-18 months, after which your body naturally resorbs the filler. Tweakments using hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers are temporary and can be reversed using a special enzyme known as Hyauronidase if you want to part ways or if any adverse events arise.
Pain can be managed well using topical numbing cream or local anaesthetic.
There are different types of dermal fillers on the market specially designed for different areas of the face. For cheeks, a hyaluronic acid based filler is required. Hyaluronic acid is a sugar based protein which is present in our skin which gives it its youthful volume. As it is being injected beneath the skin, it acts like a sponge to draw water molecules to it – adding volume to the area.
For cheeks, any where from 0.5ml to 3ml of dermal filler can be used per cheek. You may get more or less than this depending on your own personal preference and aesthetic needs. This filler is usually divided over 10-injection points (five for each cheek). It is important to note, a cannula (blunt needle) is not suitable for this area of the face.
How does cheek filler work?
After applying some optional topical numbing cream, your practitioner will mark out specific points on either side of the cheeks. They will then carefully inject some dermal filler in the areas which overly the body of the maxilla bone (fancy term for cheek bones*). For cheeks, filler is deposited below the overlying muscle and above the bone. The practitioner will then gently massage the area to even out the distribution of the filler.
The procedure is usually complete in 15-20 minutes and results are instant.
Apart from volumising the cheeks, one of the key principles of treating this area is to add support to hold the skin up in position. Because of this, a more thicker filler is typically used.
The visual effects from injecting filler into cheeks lasts 12-18 months. The duration is typically longer because the type of filler is thicker in consistency and so it takes your body slightly longer to resorb.
What happens after the cheeks treatment?
Recovery after your treatment is immediate. You can genuinely go back to work the same day.
You might experience the following, and if present, here are some great tips in managing them.
- Bruising – This can sometimes happen, especially if you are on blood thinning medication. To help, you can apply some Arnica cream.
- Mild pain – Not common but if experienced, Paracetamol is your go to. Do not go over the recommended dose. If Paracetamol is not helping, get in touch with your practitioner for a review as there might be another cause for the pain that needs addressing.
- Swelling – After any application of dermal filler, some swelling is expected. An ice pack can help but take care in the first 24 hours where it is recommended you do not touch the site of injection.
Most of these symptoms resolve after 3-5 days following treatment. If they last any longer, we recommend you contact your practitioner.
Please note, if you develop any blue/grey discolouring of your skin, severe pain/swelling, any skin changes or changes in vision in the minutes/hours after treatment, contact your practitioner urgently to seek some medical advice.
We created some great aftercare literature for you, so if you want to know more, simply create an account and we will email you the details.
Following your treatment, it is important to be aware of certain signs and symptoms which may need urgent medical attention. These rarely occur but we want you to be well informed. If these arise, it is vital you contact your medically qualified practitioner for advice.
- Infection – If you develop a fever, redness of the skin, warmth of the skin or any itchiness around the area injected – it could mean you have an infection. This is easily treated with a course of oral antibiotics. If you have a history of cold sores, injectable treatment might cause a outbreak. As a preventative measure, your practitioner will prescribe you a course of oral anti-viral medication before your treatment.
- Allergic Reaction – In the minutes/hours following treatment, if you develop severe swelling, itchiness, puffiness around the eyes, any difficulty in breathing – this could indicate a severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis. If these symptoms occur, it is important to seek urgent medical attention through A&E. You will also need your dermal filler to be dissolved using Hyaluronidase.
- Vascular Occlusion – This occurs if dermal filler accidentally enters a blood vessel. Although rare, symptoms include grey/blue discolouration of the skin and severe pain, If present, urgently contact your practitioner as the only way to treat this is by dissolving the filler. In even rarer circumstances, the occlusion can affect your vision. If you notice any changes, it is vital you go to your nearest eye hospital and also contact your practitioner to meet you there.
What are contraindications for the cheeks treatment?
Dermal fillers are widely used in the field of aesthetics however there are some contraindications which if present, would mean it is simply unsafe for you to have the procedure. At Fvce, we never compromise on safety, and so if you meet any of the following criteria, we would not allow you to book through us. There is some grey area with every case, and we more than welcome you to contact our dedicated medical team to get some free advice on whether you would be eligible for treatment:
- Active skin infection on the face/planned injection area eg Cellulitis
- Known allergy/hypersensitivity to hyaluronic acid based dermal filler
- Known allergy/hypersensitivity to lidocaine (local anaesthetic agent)
- Currently pregnant
- Previous history of glabellar skin necrosis (previous vascular occlusion around the forehead following dermal filler injection)
Email us on email@example.com for any queries regarding contraindications to treatment.
Excellent service, satisfied with the results, very professional. She really is an excellent doctor, makes you feel amazing. Highly recommended!
Very good experience Catherine explains everything well . I feel confident when she is carrying out her treatments I would recommend her to anyone . She has treated me with BTX and fillers .
I have found Daphne to be very skilled, conscious and careful. She takes time to listen to my concerns and always delivers excellent results. I have had multiple treatments with her I won't hesitate in coming back to her in the future.
Dr Emeagi was extremely professional and thorough and I was very happy with his work .
Brilliant- I always get the best results, always looks natural and get exactly the look I want. I would not use anyone else.
Dr Emeagi was amazing. He was extremely professional and listened to what my expectations were. We discussed my treatments and I am thrilled to bits with my cheek augmentation. I would highly recommended him.
Dr Amira is definitely an professional esthetician doctor! I trust her 100% because she know what she is doing,she takes my opinion in consideration,she is talented and she's doing only what I need ,not more! :)
I had my first filler experience with dr Joshua Van der Aa and I couldn’t have had a better doctor. I was a bit scared but he made me feel really comfortable. He gives the best advice and he clearly knows what he is doing.
“I cannot praise DK cosmetic clinic highly enough. I have recently had treatment and I am over the moon with the results. The whole experience was professional and Dee is so welcoming and kind, she helped put me at ease throughout. I would recommend to anyone. Thank you Dee.”
Sam has been looking after my facial aesthetic needs for years now. Every time I visit his clinic, he make me feel comfortable, infomed and I come away with amazing results. Whenever I have questions, he provides me with lots of information about the products he uses, treatments and aftercare. I highly recommend his services.
Was of the highest standard of professionalism regarding administrating that treatment that I have ever experienced, and you are worth every penny just having that peace of mind. It was also really kind of you to take your time with me to and I hope I did not take up too much of your time.
Always amazing - can’t imagine going anywhere else!
Really pleased with the result after chin filler.
I like to look my best but no amount of exercise or diet would help reduce my deep nasolabial lines. I was looking for a practioner I could trust. Thank goodness I found Dr Roddha who did a fantastic job from start to finish.
I highly recommend this service and Roshan who my practitioner. From start to finish it was professional, easy to use and and the results I have had are beyond amazing and I am definitely going to use again. Thank you from one very happy client.
I have been using Simply Clinics for 3 years now. They are very helpful and professional and have a great costumer service. I am always very happy with the results!
Very pleasant, informative and non-judgemental experience. The Doctor explained everything I needed to know about my procedure including the aftercare. I will be back without a doubt.
I have always been very insecure about my Nasolabial lines. Dr Roddha did a fantastic job on them! I look and feel 10 years younger. Thanks so much Dr Roddha!
I wouldn’t go anywhere else for any aesthetic treatment, I trust Dr Natasha 100% and would highly recommend her to anyone. Her new clinic is lovely and I can’t wait to visit again
She was very professional with my filler treatments. I was very happy with the results.
I have been having BTX done with Dr Roohi for over a year. I was really nervous when I went for the first time but she soon put me at ease, taking time to understand what I wanted to achieve. The treatment is always painless and I am extremely pleased with the result.